THE BIG STINK
03 August 2017
No matter how many times you wash your running gear, it seems the sweaty smell just lingers…Here’s why, and how to get rid of the big stink.
Bad odor in workout gear is mostly caused by:
1. An accumulation of oil, bacteria and sweat from your body.
2. Technical running gear is usually made of fabric that repels water, which means that when you wash it in the machine, it is harder for the water to penetrate the material.
So how do you wash your gear?
1. Firstly, always take your sweaty stuff out of your gym bag.
2. Hang sweaty clothes out to air dry if you can’t wash them immediately.
3. Soak your running clothes in a cup or two of white vinegar mixed with plain water. It acts as an odor killer. Then wash as usual.
4. If needs be pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup of white vinegar into your wash’s rinse cycle.
5. Baking soda along with your detergent is another option to get rid of the smell.
6. Before washing, soak them in hot water, a little detergent and an entire lemon’s worth of juice.
7. When washing your gear in the machine, turn them inside out because the bacteria, oil and sweat from your body builds up on the inside of the clothes.
8. Don’t use fabric softeners as it locks in odors.
9. Wash your clothes in cold water to prevent hot water from shrinking them.
10. You can opt for a detergent specially formulated to clean high-performance gear. Most of them are very effective.
Want to freshen up your smelly running shoes? Try this.
Take two coffee filters, add a spoonful of baking soda to each, and tie in a sachet with an elastic band. Place one in each shoe, which will absorb any bad smells.
Share this article on facebook?
Tweet about this article?