27 November 2018
Not sure what to cook tonight? Then try this tasty – and healthy – lentil bobotie.
· 2 cups lentils, cooked
· 2 T canola oil
· 1 onion, peeled & chopped
· 2 cloves garlic, peeled & finely
· chopped or crushed
· 20 g grated fresh ginger
· 100 g green beans, chopped
· 1/2 cup raisins
· 2 carrots, peeled and diced
· 1 red pepper, diced
· 1 can chopped tomatoes
· 1/2 cup water
· 30 ml mild curry spice
· 5 ml ground cinnamon
· 2 bay leaves
· 2 free-range eggs
· 1/4 cup low fat yoghurt
· 2 ml ground turmeric
· Salt and pepper to taste
· 10g fresh coriander, chopped
· 2 extra bay leaves
1. Put a large pot on the stove on a medium heat and add the oil.
2. Add the chopped onion, ginger and garlic and sauté lightly for
about 5 minutes.
3. Then add the carrots, red pepper, green beans and raisins and continue to sweat for another 5 minutes.
4. Add the curry spice, cinnamon and bay leaves and stir in for 2 minutes.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes and water and stir in.
6. Cook the sauce for about 15 minutes until slightly thickened and the vegetables have softened a little.
7. Add the lentils and season with salt and pepper to taste
and mix in.
8. Put the lentil mixture into an ovenproof dish and set aside.
9. In a bowl, whisk together the yoghurt, eggs and turmeric.
10. Pour the egg mixture over the lentil bobotie and place the 2 bay leaves on top.
11. Bake the bootie in the oven at 180ºC for about 20 minutes until the egg custard has set and is slightly golden brown on top.
12. Remove from the oven and serve hot with chopped
Share this article on facebook?
Tweet about this article?